Can you think of ways to make the web site more persuasive?
he topic of this assignment is Internet-based persuasion, and the challenge is to offer a social-psychological critique of an interactive web site that attempts to persuade people not to smoke. Successful completion of this assignment will add eight points to your course total.
To complete the assignment, follow these steps:
- Visit the web site and:
- Test your Tobacco IQ
- Get your personalized Smoke-o-Scope
- Explore the rest of the web site
- Drawing on course material from the textbook and lectures, submit a one-page typewritten paper (double-spaced using 12-point font and 1″ margins) that discusses the web site’s strengths and weaknesses in persuading people not to smoke. For example, you might answer questions such as:
- Which feature of the web site — the Tobacco IQ Test, Smoke-o-Scope, E-Card, or something else — is most persuasive, and why?
- How does the web site compare with more traditional methods of persuasion such as television commercials, billboard advertisements, and other techniques?
- Is the web site more persuasive when it comes to (a) preventing nonsmokers from smoking or (b) getting smokers to kick the habit?
- What effect did the web site have on you personally?
- Can you think of ways to make the web site more persuasive?
- When drafting your paper, be as specific as possible and cite psychological research and theory when relevant.